Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring Break

Well. Well. Well. I have quite a lot of updating to do, don't I? At first, I was thinking of doing a three part entry: one for Spain, one for my two days alone in Paris, and one for the rest of my time in Versailles and Paris with friends. But you know what? That's a heck of a lot of writing and I have a heck of a lot more on my plate, such as the fact that I withdrew over $300 from my banking account and now have the equivalent of 60 Euro to last me until May 22, the fact that I have done little to no homework for my one difficult class this semester, and the fact that gorgeous weather is now here to stay in Rome.

Madrid was eclectic, to say the least. I went to visit my friend Owen, who is studying there and vastly more fluent than any other students I've met. Thank God for that, too, considering that I accidentally booked my hostel at 11:00 pm, forgetting that it was actually at 23:00. Many scolding fingers and helpless shrugs later, he helped me get settled in. Not for too long, though, because the next day I went with his friends to Valencia to celebrate Las Falles, a celebration that somehow involves St. Joseph but mostly involves the creation of humongous and beautiful statues that...get burned down at midnight. Kind of sad, but mostly awesome for the 8 year old boy in me to witness.



After taking a 6 am bus home, I forced myself to visit both major art museums, where I saw at least ten pieces that I learned about in Art History class senior year. Seeing that and the Palacio Real and the city park was the extent of my sightseeing- the sangria and paella at night usually tuckered me out. Although I sort of wished I went to Barcelona, the "crazier" city of Spain, Madrid had its own share of shock- such as the prostitutes that lined Gran Via, offering to suck my friend's dick while casually leaning against the window of McDonald's. Gives new meaning to the happy meal, doesn't it?

Anywho, then I was off to Paris. From Monday to Tuesday night, I was alone to wander the streets of the city I was most excited to visit. Surprisingly, I want to go into the least detail here. I did everything, basically- the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, at least ten churches, a day trip to Versailles (and for fifteen Euro, it really wasn't much better than the Palacio Real in Madrid), climbed the Eiffel Tower, ate crepes in the Jardin du Luxembourg, and, by far the best thing I did, was see a Moulin Rouge show. Complete with champagne and a woman swimming with snakes, it was everything I thought it would be. I don't think my smile left my face the whole time, especially when looking at the outfits. They were gorgeous, and so meticulously crafted to outline the boobs. The boobs, by the way, were all extremely well-shaped and perky, not huge and flouncy like I expected. They really choose the most perfectly shaped women they could find- a fact I faced by eating Italian Oreos in my hostel bed later. It's okay though- I befriended the night bus driver on the way home and he let me drive it around a corner. Girls with 10 tits don't have all the fun.

Travelling by myself for a while was a welcome treat. I learned a bit of French in high school, which took me a long way in this place where, upsettingly, I found the people to mostly match the stereotype of being snooty. At one point, after climbing up the steps of Sacre-Coeur and watching a guy do tricks with a soccer ball that Pele couldn't even do, I realized that I have grown a lot this trip. Not only did I get myself from my Madrid hostel to my Paris hostel by myself, but I genuinely enjoyed sharing my dinner with The Fountainhead and resting with the birds outside St. Sulpice. If I've learned anything so far (beyond how to cook risotto and that I should hate the Italian prime minister), it is that I need to take risks, do the things that I know will truly make me happy, and spend time just simply sitting and enjoying.



It's not like I can afford to do much else now anyway.

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment