Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Senate and the People of Rome

So I didn't travel this weekend. In a way, though, I was still very much the tourist. We were scheduled to have a visit to the local TV station, but of course, all forms of transportation went on strike in Rome on Friday so we had the day off. Just another day in Europe- you have to roll with the punches because things don't usually pan out the way I think they will.

On Friday, I enjoyed sleeping in (a luxury here) and then took a walk around Trastevere, the neighborhood I live in. It is the "Lincoln Park" of Rome, and I climbed to the top of the Janiculum Hill and got a great view of Rome from the west. After walking and walking, enjoying the nice weather, I eventually descended again and, oh, what do you know, there's the Vatican City walls. Now I've been to the Vatican before, and every time, it is extremely breathtaking to the point of awe. It's hard to walk down the central nave and not believe, what with the band of gold mosaics, colossal sculptures. Behind the altar, there were pews set up for mass and I checked my watch. 4:55 p.m. I knew that every day after 5 p.m, they have mass in Latin, so I sat by a pew and watched the priest and altar boys walk up the aisle, Swiss Guard closely behind them. I stayed about halfway through. I appreciate the sanctity and reverence of the ceremony, but the Guard is what made me leave. I don't want to get into specifics or huge theological arguments- you can interpret that as you will.

On Saturday, my friends and I woke up and went to the Capitoline Museum, where we saw the original sculpture of the she-wolf with Romulus and Remus as well as the remains of Augustus's statue that was once in his basilica in the Roman Forum. It was absolutely humongous- his foot was easily a person and a half longer than me. Afterwards, we rendez-vous'd to the Circus Maximus (original chariot tracks) and saw the Cappucine Crypt- another all-bone church. This one was made up of only monk bones however, complete with outfits or still-rotting corpses. Delish.

That night, we went to a local club where the dance floor was on par size-wise with the bathroom. Enormous fun- until I gave the bartender 2 Euro and asked for the strongest shot he could make. Thanks for the tequila and limoncello, Fabrizio.

On Sunday, we hiked up to Villa Borghese- the biggest park in Rome. After renting bikes and exploring the gardens, we chilled on a bench and watched dogs playing with each other. Note- Italian dogs are just like American dogs. Minogue- One was named Nina. You know how I feel about animals with people names. After effectively tiring ourselves out, we ate at a pizzeria called Rosso Pomodoro (Red Tomato- wow! I'm learning stuff here!). I got a broccoli and Napoli sausage pizza with fizzy lemonade. Magnifico.

Sorry this wasn't more entertaining- but I really enjoyed spending time in Roma and getting more familiar with the 7 hills. Next up is Berlin.

Aufweidersen! (or something),
Cason

No comments:

Post a Comment